Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park

The Hluhluwe and Umfolozi Game Reserves in KwaZulu-Natal were separately proclaimed in 1897. Connected through a corridor of state-owned land, the reserves were formally joined in 1989 to create the 960 kmĀ² Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve. Completion of the integrated management plan and formal proclamation of the reserve as Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park is still in process. Lions, wild dogs, brown hyaena Hyaena brunnea and cheetah Acinonyx jubatus were extirpated from the reserves by 1920 through vermin controlĀ 
Twenty two wild dogs, sixteen of which were captive reared, were reintroduced into Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park in four stages from 1980 until September 1981 and formed a single pack (Maddock 1999). Four additional wild dogs were introduced in 1986 but emigrated from the reserve shortly thereafter (Maddock 1999, Gusset et al. 2006).The maximum pack size fluctuated between 28 animals in 1986 and seven animals in 1995 (Maddock 1999). Additional introductions took place in 1997 (3 males + 1 female), 2001 (2 males + 2 females), 2003 (5 males + 3 females), 2006 (3 females), 2008 (1 male) and 2008 (3 females). The population currently comprises 106 adults and yearlings in eight packs. Although wild dogs were recorded to have left HiP sporadically since 1984, with the exception of ad hoc reports from members of the public or from private game reserves, the routes or fates of many of these dogs are unknown (Maddock 1999). However, the dispersal of two female wild dogs from Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park to Thanda Game Reserve in 2004 was the catalyst for a formal wild dog reintroduction into that reserve in 2005.